How To Care For Curly Hair: Natural Tips & Hacks
Curly hair is beautiful and unique but can also be challenging to maintain and style. Curly hair tends to be more dry, brittle, and prone to frizz than straight hair. It is because of its curved shape and uneven distribution of keratin. Curly hair also has a natural curl pattern. It can be easily disrupted by brushing, washing, or heat styling.
However, with the right tools and techniques, you can keep your curly hair healthy, hydrated, and defined. In this blog post, you will discover some natural tips to improve your health. Also, you will get the hacks on how to care for curly hair, from washing to styling.
Washing Curly Hair
One of the most important aspects of caring for curly hair is washing it properly. Washing curly hair can help remove dirt, oil, and product buildup. Also, you should use proper curl defining cream to wash your hair. However, washing curly hair too often or with the wrong products can strip the hair of its natural oils.
Here are some tips on how to wash curly hair:
- Wash your hair when needed, not every day. Curly hair does not need to be washed every day, as this can dry out the hair and scalp. Depending on your hair type, texture, and lifestyle, you may need to wash your hair once or twice a week. You can use a dry shampoo or a curl refresher spray on your curls.
- Use a gentle, sulfate-free shampoo. Sulfates are harsh detergents. This can strip the hair of its natural oils and moisture and cause frizz, irritation, and damage. Look for a shampoo specially formulated for curly hair or natural or organic ingredients. For instance, you should go with oils, butter, aloe vera, or plant extracts. You can also use wide tooth comb for curly hair your hair.
- Use a moisturizing conditioner. Conditioner is essential for curly hair, as it helps hydrate, nourish, and smooth the hair. Also, this can prevent tangles and breakage. Look for a conditioner rich in natural or organic ingredients, such as oils, butter, proteins, or panthenol. Some examples of moisturizing conditioners are the Kinky-Curly Knot Today Leave-In Conditioner/Detangler, and the Ouidad Curl Quencher Moisturizing Conditioner. Also, you can use the Maui Moisture Curl Quench and Coconut Oil Conditioner.
- Curly hair can benefit from a weekly deep conditioning treatment. This helps restore its moisture, strength, and elasticity. Look for a deep conditioner or a hair mask rich in natural or organic ingredients. For instance, you should use products that have oils, butter, honey, or yoghurt. Some examples of deep conditioners or hair masks are the Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner, the Curlsmith Curl Quenching Conditioning Wash, and the Garnier Fructis Smoothing Treat 1 Minute Hair Mask and Avocado Extract.
- Rinse your hair with cold water. Cold water can help seal the hair cuticles. Lock in the moisture and nutrients. It will reduce frizz and flyaways. Rinse your hair with cold water after shampooing and conditioning or as a final rinse.
Detangling Curly Hair
Another important aspect of caring for curly hair is detangling it properly. Detangling curly hair can help remove any knots, tangles, or shed hair. This will prevent matting and breakage. However, detangling curly hair incorrectly or with the wrong tools can break up the natural clumps of curls. Also, it can stretch and damage the hair strands, and create frizz and flyaways.
Here are some tips on how to detangle curly hair:
- Detangle your hair when it is wet. "Wet hair is easier to detangle than dry hair."You can detangle your hair right after washing and conditioning it or spray it with water or a curl refresher spray. Avoid detangling your hair when scorched, as this can cause the most damage and frizz.
- To keep your hair soft and tangle-free, consider using a leave-in conditioner. This will help you hydrate, nourish your hair, and add slip and lubrication. This will make gliding the comb or brushing through your hair easier. Also, it will prevent frizz and breakage in your curls. Some examples of leave-in conditioners or detanglers are the Kinky-Curly Knot Today Leave-In Conditioner/Detangler, and the Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie. Also, you can use DevaCurl One Condition Original Daily Cream Conditioner.
- Section your hair into 2 to 4 parts. This will help you manage your hair better and ensure you don't miss any spots or tangles.
- Use a wide-tooth comb. These are the best tools to detangle your curly hair, as they can glide through without snagging or pulling. They can also help you distribute your natural oils and products evenly throughout your hair. Also, it is a great way to create smooth and defined curls. Avoid using fine-tooth combs or regular brushes, as they can break up your curls, and cause frizz. Also, it can remove all the damage to your hair.
- Start from the ends of your hair and work your way up to the roots. This will help you gently remove any knots or tangles as you go. Also, you can prevent pulling or yanking your hair. If you encounter any resistance or hear snapping sounds, stop and use your fingers to loosen the tangle. You can apply more products to make them easier. Do not pull or yank your hair, which can cause damage and pain.
- Twist or braid each section after detangling it. This will help you keep your hair detangled and prevent it from re-tangling. You can also use a curl-enhancing product to define and shape your curls.
- Repeat the process with the rest of your hair until your hair is thoroughly detangled and smooth.
Styling Curly Hair
The final aspect of caring for curly hair is styling it properly. Styling curly hair can help you enhance and define your natural curl pattern and create different looks and hairstyles. However, styling curly hair incorrectly or with the wrong products. This disrupt your curl pattern, cause frizz and flyaways, and damage your hair.
Here are some tips on how to style curly hair:
- Use a curl-enhancing product to shape and hold your curls. This will help you boost and define your natural curl pattern and prevent frizz and flyaways. You can use different products, such as creams, gels, mousses, or sprays. Some examples of curl-enhancing products are the Moroccan Oil Curl Defining Cream, and the Cantu Curl Enhancer Activator Cream.
- Use a diffuser to dry your hair. This will help distribute the heat evenly and gently, creating more volume and definition in your curls. Then, gently lift and lower your hair with the diffuser without blowing it around. You can flip your head upside down to add more volume and lift to your roots.
- You can use a curling iron or a wand to curl your hair if you want to change your curl pattern or create more uniform or defined curls. Use a curling iron or a wand. Then, wrap small sections of your hair around the barrel and hold for a few seconds. Release the curl, and let it cool down. Repeat with the rest of your hair until you achieve the desired look.
- Use a silk or satin pillowcase or a bonnet to preserve your curls overnight. Curly hair can get frizzy, tangled, or flattened when you sleep. Silk or satin are smooth and gentle fabrics that help your hair glide and retain shape.
In short, the above tips and tricks will help you to keep your curls healthy. Also, it is good to use the recommended products to make your hair luscious.